Wednesday 6 May 2020

How to make crank shaft

Most difficult part to make for beginners is crank shaft which lifting the wings. It is very important that is done very accurately to achieve wing symmetrical flapping. For my rubber band and RC ornithopters I use 10 mm rotation radius for wings flapping and 20 mm lever length on wings. It is 3D object bit difficult to imagine at first. At the end first radius and second radius must rotate at 10 mm radius. Second one is 7 mm but it is 70 deg in respect to firs one. If precisely measured and bent both wing should flap symmetrically  .

see picture 



I use 0.8 mm steel wire or they call it music wire. For RC model I used 1 mm wire because hole in the gear was 1mm. To properly design my ornithopter I used free software from this website.
http://ornithopter.org/software.shtml  It is very accurate ,when I finished my bird everything was exactly same as calculations from that free on line software. Thank you guys from The Ornithopter Zone.

No comments:

Post a Comment